The Directorate of Integration and Diversity (IMDi) is a centre of expertise and a driving force for integration and diversity in Norway. The Directorate cooperates with municipalities, government agencies, immigrant organisations and groups and the private sector.
The Directorate is under the authority of the Ministry of Children, Equality and Social Inclusion and it is charged with implementing integration and diversity policies in the ministry’s areas of responsibility.
IMDi’s most important tasks are:
– To settle refugees
– To contribute to qualifying immigrants for work and education
– To follow up the Introduction Act
– To contribute to a dialogue between the majority population and minorities
– To prevent and combat forced marriages
– To contribute to developing knowledge in the field of integration
IMDi also has several financial instruments at its disposal, such as grants to municipalities and to voluntary organisations working to promote diversity and integration. IMDi has branch offices in Narvik, Trondheim, Bergen, Kristiansand, Gjøvik and Oslo.