The International Crisis Group is an independent organisation working to prevent wars and shape policies that will build a more peaceful world.
Crisis Group sounds the alarm to prevent deadly conflict. We build support for the good governance and inclusive politics that enable societies to flourish. We engage directly with a range of conflict actors to seek and share information, and to encourage intelligent action for peace.
Our work is urgently needed as the world is confronted with a dramatic rise in the number of conflicts, with devastating humanitarian, social and economic costs. Efforts to resolve conflicts are complicated by the profound shift in geopolitics, as well as the increasing prominence of non-state actors ranging from religious militants to criminal gangs.
In this more polarised, fragmented and dangerous world, Crisis Group’s work points a way forward. War is not inevitable; it is a man-made disaster. We must mobilise political leaders to heed early warnings and take early action to avoid looming conflicts. And we must build more creative and flexible frameworks for international diplomacy.
The consequences of inaction are too great:
- Over 68 million people are now displaced due to conflict and persecution – more than ever recorded.
- The majority of the world’s refugees come from three countries devastated by war: Syria, Afghanistan and Somalia.
- At least 70 conflicts involve non-state actors, a historic high.
- An estimated 90,358 people were killed in conflicts in 2017.
- The past five years have seen worsening trends across conflict indicators: more wars, more people killed and civilians increasingly targeted.
New York708 3rd Avenue, Suite 1705
New York, New York 10017
- +1 212 813 0820
- +1 212 813 0825